[sugar] Restoring journal entries (was Re: [Server-devel] Backup And Restore Feature Documentation)

Tomeu Vizoso tomeu
Sun Sep 14 05:34:59 EDT 2008

Hi,

these questions depend on the actual code that performs the restore.
I'm going to comment on what happens when the user clicks on an entry
from Browse (the only restore mechanism that is available today).

On Sun, Sep 14, 2008 at 11:08 AM, Martin Langhoff
<martin.langhoff at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 13, 2008 at 2:58 AM, Greg Smith <gregsmitholpc at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> 4 - If you restore a single item, does it get placed in the journal back
>> where it originally came from or is it moved to the top?
>
> I think yes. Tomeu (CC'd) knows this one...

A new entry (with a new uid) will be created and it will have the
current date as modification date. So it will appear at the top of the
journal.

>> In either case
>> does it overwrite the previous instance if it still exists? Should be OK
>> to overwrite as I think they should be the same file, just want to be
>> sure I understand.
>
> I think yes... Tomeu?

It won't overwrite, it creates a new journal entry that should be
functionally equivalent to the one in the back up.

Keep in mind that the user could click on a link that points to a
bundled journal entry from other kid's journal. So it's not only used
to restore own backups.

Regards,

Tomeu