[sugar] reading from pendrive

Tomeu Vizoso tomeu
Fri Sep 12 03:28:59 EDT 2008

On Mon, Sep 8, 2008 at 9:00 PM, Gabriel Eirea <geirea at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> During our last Ceibal Jam we got some feedback from teachers. One
> common request is related to transferring files from a pendrive to the
> XO. In the journal, the flat view is very uncomfortable and in cases
> with thousands of files it is difficult to locate the desired file.
>
> I wrote a proof-of-concept pendrive explorer that lets the user select
> a file using a traditional file navigator and copy it to the
> clipboard. It is very simple and has not been exhaustively tested, but
> it gets the job done and the initial user feedback is positive. It
> uses gtk.filechooserwidget and the code snippet from the journal that
> copies the uri to the clipboard.
>
> You can find it in
>
> http://iie.fing.edu.uy/~geirea/ceibaljam/LeerPendrive-1.xo
>
> I would appreciate your comments.

Hi Gabriel, first of all congratulations on your work, I liked it very much.

Would like to ask you some more things:

- What was your experience as an activity author? What you liked and
what you disliked? How could it be improved?

- Efficient use of files is something we would like to have integrated
in the Sugar shell. Which modifications would you do to it so it
better responds to those use cases?

Sorry for asking so much ;)

Thanks,

Tomeu