[sugar] License your bundles, please!

Jonas Smedegaard dr
Thu Sep 11 13:50:25 EDT 2008

On Thu, Sep 11, 2008 at 12:56:40PM -0400, C. Scott Ananian wrote:
>On Thu, Sep 11, 2008 at 12:12 PM, Jonas Smedegaard <dr at jones.dk> wrote:
>> On Thu, Sep 11, 2008 at 11:41:41AM -0400, C. Scott Ananian wrote:
>>>John Gilmore has been pushing us to get our licensing ducks in a row.
>>>The one remaining problem has been activities and content bundles: we
>>>can't legally distribute bundles that don't have a clear statement of
>>>license.
>>
>> There is also licensing problems in some PO-files.
>>
>> POT-files should replace PACKAGE with actual package name.
>>
>> PO-files should include both proper copyright and licensing info.
>
>Could you suggest a patch to
>http://dev.laptop.org/git/projects/image-builder or a stand-alone
>script that could audit for such problems?

Sorry, no. I can read and patch Python code, but write it :-/
Or, more exactly, I am sloooow at expressing myself in Python.

Checking *.po for this should catch the ones using stander boilerplate:

^#.*(YEAR|PACKAGE|HOLDER)

(if possible to limit to, say, first 10 lines of the file, some possible
false positives would be avoided.

>I believe most of our po files are generated/maintained by a Pootle
>instance; Sayamindu, is patching Pootle to check for reasonable
>license information feasible?  That would address the problem at the
>source.

Sounds sane!

Here is the sed rule I currently use to get autogenerated POT-files into
shape:

sed -i \
  -e "/^# Copyright/ s/THE PACKAGE'S COPYRIGHT HOLDER/Jonas Smedegaard <dr at jones.dk>/" \
  -e '/^\(# This file\|"Project-Id-Version\)/ s/PACKAGE/$(DEB_SOURCE_PACKAGE)/' \
  -e '/^"Project-Id-Version:/ s/VERSION/$(DEB_UPSTREAM_VERSION)/' \
  debian/po/templates.pot

Should be ease to transform into Perl for use in Poodle.

If above is applied to POT-file, autogenerated PO-files might be
acceptable - depending on how well Poodle makes use of that (they are
when using commandline tool msginit and similar).

Would be nice if the following lines was replaced/updated too, but not
necessary from a licensing perspective:

# SOME DESCRIPTIVE TITLE.
# FIRST AUTHOR <EMAIL at ADDRESS>, YEAR."
"Last-Translator: FULL NAME <EMAIL at ADDRESS>\n"
"Language-Team: LANGUAGE <LL at li.org>\n"

  - Jonas

- --