[sugar] License your bundles, please!

C. Scott Ananian cscott
Thu Sep 11 11:41:41 EDT 2008

John Gilmore has been pushing us to get our licensing ducks in a row.
The one remaining problem has been activities and content bundles: we
can't legally distribute bundles that don't have a clear statement of
license.

I have added documentation to:
  http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Activity_bundles#.info_File_Format
and
  http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Sample_library.info_file
on a new 'license=' field in the activity.info and library.info files,
closely modelled after the License: field in RPM packages.

Now I need your help!  Could you all look at any activity and content
bundles you maintain, add an appropriate license statement if there
isn't one already (comments at the top of source files, or a COPYING
file, or a statement in the README, etc) and the add a 'license='
field to your activity.info or library.info documenting the license
choice?

Commenting on http://dev.laptop.org/ticket/8411 when you've done so
will help me keep track of how we're doing.  We will not be able to
ship any activities in our G1G1 8.2 image which do not have
appropriate license information -- since mstone's plan-of-the-moment
is to make the first release candidate for this next week, the
situation is pretty urgent.  Also, we will probably need to remove any
activity bundles hosted on the dev.laptop.org wiki which do not have
statements of license at one point.  Your help is appreciated!

Thanks!
 --scott

--
 ( http://cscott.net/ )