[sugar] Freeform layout algorithm

Eben Eliason eben.eliason
Tue Sep 9 16:42:08 EDT 2008

Renewed interest in improving the layout algorithm (for use in the
non-activity zoom levels) has prompted me to create a document
summarizing the goals of the layout, the current approach, and a few
alternate approaches for consideration.  My primary goal was to
specify the requirements we wish to evaluate the possible approaches
against, and to clarify my (potentially naive) first attempt at
satisfying them.  My hope is that others will see obvious ways to
improve the current approach, or have much better solutions they can
put forward (preferably in code!).

Please see the attached document for details.  Thanks!

- Eben