[sugar] Survey of activity authors

Morgan Collett morgan.collett
Mon Sep 1 06:18:28 EDT 2008

On Sat, Aug 30, 2008 at 13:21, Mikus Grinbergs <mikus at bga.com> wrote:
>> I surveyed authors/maintainers of activities hosted in dev.laptop.org
>> git over the past few weeks. The results are summarised at
>> http://wiki.laptop.org/go/User:Morgs/Activities_survey
>
> I wish that your list were more of a reference document.  [For instance, you
> have left off authors *you* know are keeping up-to-date -- but not everyone
> knows who is being active.]

Good point. I'll expand my report in the next week or so and send out
an update. I'll add those I didn't contact because they are
staff/contractors of OLPC, as well as a list of those who didn't
respond. (I'll ping them just to check if they forgot, or if they are
no longer interested.)

> Plus, my list of "interesting" Activities is longer than yours.  I presume
> that is because you have left off not only known "active" authors, but also
> "not contactable" authors.  Nevertheless, if there was no response for
> Activities deemed useful, they ought to be listed centrally anyway -- in the
> hope that someone would step up and volunteer to follow up on what is
> happening with that Activity.

I contacted those who were using the git hosting. There are more
activities on the wiki that don't use it. I'll expand my coverage when
I have time to include those where I can find contact details.

> It would also help if there were a compendium of contact information
> available.  As it is, one has to search in the Activity's wiki page. [For
> instance, what is the address of the Map activity maintainer?]

In the interests of not increasing their unsolicited mail, I'll
refrain from posting my list of email addresses on the wiki, but this
is a good point: it was not a trivial exercise to get the addresses
together.

I'll work on an expanded list of recommendations including a better
way to publish contact details for activities.

We still need a decent activity portal. I know a couple of people have
looked at the codebase behind addons.mozilla.org, but that didn't get
far yet.

Regards
Morgan