[sugar] Sucrose 0.83.1 Development Release

S Page info
Fri Oct 31 16:30:05 EDT 2008

Simon Schampijer wrote:
> This is our first Development Release in the 0.84 cycle. The code base
> has seen many refactoring efforts to improve the platform.

Will OLPC joyride builds pick up the new Sucrose?

> Furthermore the datastore has been rewritten, to simplify and improve
> maintainability. The API has been kept in place.

What happens when you upgrade an XO with the old datastore?
What happens if you then downgrade it?

> Sugar moved to use Gconf as a back end to store the profile.
When you upgrade an XO, does it import your old profile
(~olpc/.sugar/default/config)?  What happens if you then downgrade?

> An ABI policy has been figured out and modules have been marked as
> STABLE / UNSTABLE / DEPRECATED.
Where are they marked, in the .py files?

> == Fructose news ==

Are the new activity versions backwards-compatible with 8.2?  If so, the
maze of Activity lists should be updated.

Currently http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Activities/Joyride pulls in
Activities/G1G1 , as does Activities/G1G1/8.2, and that list still
references old versions -- Browse 98 not 100, Read 52 not 60, etc. --
even though the links say "Browse (latest)".

> Full Release Notes:
> http://sugarlabs.org/go/ReleaseTeam/Releases/Sucrose/0.83.1
Maybe you could address these questions in a ==Compatibility== section
in the release notes.

The changes and fixes sound excellent!

--
=S ugar Page