[sugar] Proper D-Bus usage (was Re: October 29 - Tarballs due for 0.83.1)

Tomeu Vizoso tomeu
Fri Oct 31 09:49:57 EDT 2008

On Fri, Oct 31, 2008 at 2:44 PM, Benjamin M. Schwartz
<bmschwar at fas.harvard.edu> wrote:

> Tomeu Vizoso wrote:
>> And see xattrs for a design that
>> avoids this mess.
>
> xattr values are also just bytes with no type, and so will have exactly
> the same problem.  Their behavior would be equivalent to D-Bus's a{ayay}.

The mess I was referring to was the situation around the clipboard in
linux desktops, where apps have trouble sharing data because specs are
badly implemented or there are no spec for some data types.

> Python's behavior in this domain is also in flux.  Python 3.0 will have
> separate types for unicode strings and unencoded bytestrings.

Sounds pretty good.

Regards,

Tomeu