[sugar] USB Based Community Access - What could work technically?

Marco Pesenti Gritti mpgritti
Fri Oct 31 04:26:28 EDT 2008

On Fri, Oct 31, 2008 at 3:55 AM, Bill Bogstad <bogstad at pobox.com> wrote:
> In all of this discussion of Sugar on a USB, it's not clear what part
> of the taxonomy from here:
>
> http://www.sugarlabs.org/go/Taxonomy
>
> is being discussed.  Do the activities (fructose/honey) always come
> from the user's flash drive?  If not, you will have many more
> versioning issues.  And you really start to have issues if advanced
> students want to write/modify activities.   If they do,  then you seem
> to be talking about mounting /home/olpc (or equivalent) from the flash
> drive in many of the scenarios mentioned.

Right now Fedora (and I think Ubuntu) uses rpms for activities,
installed in the system. I'm not yet clear about the role of xo
bundles in this context. But anyway, I'm not convinced installing
activities in the home dir would solve the issue. You would run into
incompatibilities between the system and the activities.

Marco