[sugar] USB Based Community Access - What could work technically?

David Farning dfarning
Thu Oct 30 19:45:24 EDT 2008

My thought is that it provides a low cost initial entry point for
introducing Sugar.

I am under the impression that personal student notebooks will be the long
term solution.  In the mean time we should do whatever is necessary to make
Sugar available given the existing technological and purchasing environment.

One of the main reasons for moodle's success is the extremely low barrier to
entry.  In terms of student infrastructure all that is needed is a web
browser.  At the IT department level, all that is required is a moodle
server.  The servers can be purchased as a server in a box or an off site
service from several moodle partners for 10s of dollars per month.

Many moodle installations started in a single classroom that was lead by a
early adopter teacher.  The installations spread by other teachers seeing
the usefullness of moodle and students requesting moodle in their other
classes.

Sugar Labs can mimic this approach by creating an USB stick which converts
existing students computers, at no perment risk, to Sugar.  Sugar partners
can provide server hosting either on or off site.

thanks
david