[sugar] 9.1 Proposal: Files

S Page info
Wed Oct 29 21:33:45 EDT 2008

Erik Garrison wrote:
> However, it is unclear how hacking is
> supposed to proceed within Sugar without some exposure to the underlying
> filesystem.

Run Browse and you start with "OLPC Library".  Click in the location
field and you see file:///home/olpc/.library_pages/index.html.  Any
inquisitive child is going to start exploring and wind up looking at the
source for Analyze.activity/analyze.py.  (I don't know how hard it would
be to add syntax highlighting to Mozilla's text rendering.)

>  Even if it is possible to do via the Terminal, we are not
> making it easy for users to start by providing two incompatible views on
> data.

Yes.  I can't even look in file:///home/olpc/.sugar  I've had
intermittent problems in the past where I'm unable to browse other
directories, but this directory is hidden to Browse by design.

Files?  I think mankind is in the middle of a 25-year transition to
versioned URIs.  It's strange that viewing that source file isn't chock
full of links.  But I know of no O.S. that's figured it out (remember
public_html directories and Microsoft's "View as Web folder"?) and
meanwhile the Journal is an advance on a mere file system.  There's no
web server on the XO, so it's hard for it to figure out the URI'd future
either.

If I ruled the world the Journal would be reuse + extension of Firefox
3's Places feature.  Places has the same history, tags, search, last
viewed, description, etc.; it allows but does not require subfolders.
That would be the start of the unification of browsing the web and your
local work that's surely coming.

Thanks for all you do.
--
=S Page