[sugar] Proper D-Bus usage (was Re: October 29 - Tarballs due for 0.83.1)

Marco Pesenti Gritti mpgritti
Wed Oct 29 12:57:27 EDT 2008

On Wed, Oct 29, 2008 at 5:30 PM, Bert Freudenberg <bert at freudenbergs.de> wrote:
> On 29.10.2008, at 03:42, Marco Pesenti Gritti wrote:
> I don't see how it would be "inconsistent" that when an activity saves a
> "title" meta-data property which obviously is a string, and it resumes, to
> expect it will be returned as a string and not magically converted to a byte
> array. An activity should not have to care about the DS's internal
> representation.

I think Tomeu point is that the DS should know nothing about the type
of the metadata properties and interpretation of the data blob (the
array of bytes) should be left entirely to the activities.

> And after all, the meta data is declared to be a{sv} instead of a{say}
> precisely to accommodate appropriate types for the values.

Yeah but the interface was written for a datastore which had a notion
of metadata property type (although a very bad one). The new one does
not.

Marco