[sugar] October 29 - Tarballs due for 0.83.1

Marco Pesenti Gritti mpgritti
Tue Oct 28 18:15:50 EDT 2008

On Tue, Oct 28, 2008 at 11:04 PM, Bert Freudenberg <bert at freudenbergs.de> wrote:
> Well, some of the API uses "variable" types, so even if the interface does
> not change literally, changing the types involved poses a problem.
>
> E.g., meta-data properties are declared as dictionary with string keys but
> arbitrary values ("a{sv}"). In practice, all meta data values are strings.

They are in practice all strings because all the properties defined by
the datastore are strings, and we didn't persist custom properties
(and so no one used them)?

> They used to use the String ("s") D-Bus type, but now Tomeu changed it to
> byte arrays ("ay"). This is breaking Etoys resume which reads the title
> property and expects a String but gets a ByteArray.

Hm, that sort of sucks. I'd like to hear the rationale of this change
from Tomeu and why we should break API to do it.

Let's keep in mind that we are probably going to change the datastore
API again in the near future. Also, the datastore dbus interface is
currently marked as STABLE, as I pointed out in my API policy email
(that's pending objections/discussion though).

Marco