[sugar] 9.1 Proposal: Control Facility Improvements

Eben Eliason eben.eliason
Thu Oct 23 21:22:49 EDT 2008

I can sympathize with this perspective.  Traditionally, software
updates only update software which is already installed. In this
perspective, I could see one expecting all those activities already
installed being selected by default, and others left unchecked for one
to select as desired.

On the other hand, I appreciate that our primary use case is for
deployments and entire schools of kids, where the set of activities
chosen for the update has been carefully selected by the school, and
might include a handful of new or customized activities for the
upcoming school year, for instance.  In such a scenario, selecting all
by default is clearly desired.

I'm not sure what the answer is.  Offering a flag with the activity
pack somehow could work, I suppose, but makes the idea less pure.
Maybe adding buttons for "select all/deselect all" and "select
installed" would be better, to make managing the selection easier and
more exposed, could work.  Or, perhaps better, we could offer a
"smart" activity pack in the list for "Installed activities" which
then presents a list of all installed activities (checked by default,
just like the other activity packs).

- Eben