[sugar] 9.1 Proposal: Legacy compatibility.

C. Scott Ananian cscott
Fri Oct 17 15:07:58 EDT 2008

I'd like to present a few areas where sugar can "play nice with
others", including:
 * replacing the matchbox window manager, to provide better
multiple-window support for legacy apps (think of the 'gimp', running
as multiple windows without one full-screen "activity area" aka
"virtual desktop")
 * making sugar behave well when run in non-full-screen-mode under
metacity.  This includes refactoring home/friends/mesh view as
operations on root window, so they make sense in a multiwindow setup.
(It's been suggested that looking at the xpenguins code is instructive
for understanding how nautilus,etc arrange their root window.)
 * Switch to standard freedesktop.org startup notification mechanism:
ticket #5271
 * Implement freedesktop.org notifications mechanism for alerts (low
battery, low disk space, available software update)
 * Use standard fd.o notification area in frame -- I think this would
also address cjb's desire to put the 'stop' button for recordmydesktop
in the frame.

I don't think I will actually have time to work on many of these areas
in the 9.1 time frame, so I especially encourage interested/motivated
parties to make concrete proposals on pieces of this work.  (Or
suggest other areas we should improve.)
 --scott

--
                         ( http://cscott.net/ )