[sugar] Tagged Journal Proposal

Gary C Martin gary
Wed Oct 15 23:56:43 EDT 2008

On 16 Oct 2008, at 01:51, C. Scott Ananian wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 15, 2008 at 8:26 PM, Benjamin M. Schwartz
> <bmschwar at fas.harvard.edu> wrote:
>> | Proposal (off the cuff, please poke holes in this): We might beef
>> up
>> | the HIG in the area of tagging, and even suggest a set of canonical
>> | tags for various types of content. (Localized, of course.)
>> Combining
>> | this with Scott's "path-tags", we might introduce Images/, Videos/,
>> | Documents/, and Audio/ tags in such a way that we get the best of
>> both
>> | worlds.  The system can "automatically" file things away in a
>> | reasonable subdirectory of the Journal, but the kids can always
>> find
>> | *anything* they've done, in chronological order, by looking in the
>> | Journal itself (before selecting one of these path-tags as a
>> query).
>>
>> Please don't conflate a good idea with a bad one.  Activities
>> providing
>> localized metadata (both tags and key:value pairs) automatically
>> could be
>> a very good thing.  Even better would be internationalization: if
>> Activities use specific machine-readable words, then when objects are
>> passed around, those words can be localized for each user's Journal.
>>
>> This is completely independent from the "path tags", which would be
>> useful
>> only when trying to maintain compatibility with non-Journal
>> filesystems,
>> and are tremendously confusing otherwise.
>
> Heh, Ben doesn't like path tags, it looks like. ;-)
>
> As far as I'm concerned, whether it's "Images/" or "Images" is a tiny
> implementation detail; I don't care much either way.

More straw men for the fire.

I'm not a fan of lots of little / characters everywhere (fine if a
user want to type them in the unified text search area to look
somewhere specific), but you could show entries that came (or are)
outside of the local datastore by using different shaped tag icons
that hint at the differences between a path tags, and arbitrary tags: