[sugar] Announcing the General Availability of XO Software Release 8.2.0
Tue Oct 14 17:11:16 EDT 2008
Announcing the General Availability of XO Software Release 8.2.0
XO Software Release 8.2.0 was developed by OLPC engineers and the OLPC
open source community.
The XO and its software is the only major computing platform designed
specifically for the educational benefit of children in the developing
Release 8.2 is based on a child focused graphical interface called
Sugar, a Red Hat Fedora 9 Linux operating system and OLPC customized
implementations of core software including power management, wireless
drivers, NAND flash file system, Open Firmware, and other components.
XO Software Release 8.2.0 runs on the award winning XO Laptop.
Major new features in this release include:
- A updated Home view and Journal with new options for finding and
- An enhanced Frame for collaborating with other XOs, switching
between running activities and accessing external USB sticks.
- A graphical Control Panel for setting language, network, and power
- An automated Software Update tool which finds the latest version of
activities and updates them over the Internet.
- Integration with the School Server for backup of XOs and restore of
files to the Journal as needed.
- New and updated translations for many languages.
- A new user manual shipped with the XO as an activity.
- Hundreds of bug fixes.
For installation instructions and more details on the new features, see
the the 8.2.0 Release Notes at:
Thanks to the many people who gave their time and energy to make this
release a reality.
OLPC Product Manager
More information about the Sugar-devel