[sugar] Sugar Clock

Martin Dengler martin
Tue Oct 14 15:32:31 EDT 2008

On Tue, Oct 14, 2008 at 07:51:23PM +0200, Tomeu Vizoso wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 14, 2008 at 7:40 PM, Benjamin M. Schwartz
> <bmschwar at fas.harvard.edu> wrote:
> > [...]the system could easily suspend with the clock displayed [...]
[...]
> Crazy idea: put in the frame a widget that only updates (and displays)
> itself 20 seconds after the mouse has been over it.

1) Or just make showing the frame inhibit suspend.

2) Or just ignore this problem - worse is better.  We really don't have
this problem (frequent suspends) right now, do we, as all power
management is disabled in all shipping builds by default, right?  And
if we're not talking about a shipping build, why aren't we talking
about which build we're having this discussion for?  And aren't we
being XO-centric?

3) Or just have the clock face, after updating on frame expose(),
dissolve after a few seconds - in all but the most ideal
power-management future this would be well before any suspend.

> Thanks,
>
> Tomeu

Martin

PS - we should all stop arguing and just make a clock widget, finally.
I hear no arguments about the right frame being out-of-date during
suspend (from buddies leaving/joining during suspend).  Is this really
less of a problem in theory?  If in practice it's less of a problem,
how much less?  The truth is, this is all just worrying about a
problem that will never exist in the real world: a kid glancing at
their dimmed XO screen after suspending while the kid has exposed the
frame and then missing school or something because the clock is out of
date.  Please :).