[sugar] Annotation (was Re: Viewing PDFs from Browse)

Samuel Klein sj
Mon Oct 13 18:57:56 EDT 2008

On Mon, Oct 13, 2008 at 5:42 PM, Mikus Grinbergs <mikus at bga.com> wrote:

> Only when (some or all of) Object-2 gets "folded in" to Object-1 does
> attribution become important: [Object-1 paragraph3 as edited by Jim Jones;
> Object-1 paragraph22 as added (originated by) Sam Smith]. But when such
> "folding in" has been comprehensive, the importance of the previously
> existing Annotation (Object-2) goes away.

Yes, this description of folding in annotations is an even clearer
example of the distinction I was making.  You can interchange material
into annotation and back (as talk pages often demonstrate on modern
wikis).  Having the distinction available makes a new level of
discourse possible.

>> _Why_ do you prefer immutable history to destructive updates?
>
>  -  Respect for the author's copyright.
>  -  Ability to "back out" changes.
>  -  Clear identification of what *has* been changed.
>    [Not all works carry versions / "history_audits" alongside.]
>  -  To identify "who screwed it up".

+1

SJ