[sugar] (very) Little Proposals for 9.1

Simon Schampijer simon
Mon Oct 13 09:26:18 EDT 2008

pgf at laptop.org wrote:
> simon wrote:
>  > Carlo Falciola wrote:
>  > > Giovanna: Why not to enable shut-down from the XO icon of any of the standard
>  > > view? The icon is always there in the middle of screen but "works" only in
>  > > one...  (in general, maybe enabling the hoovering menu in all of the views
>  > > Home, Neighborhood, Group  could make sense and could be reasonably  easy to
>  > > do....)
>  >
>  > The idea was that you do not need to shut down, rather suspend the
>  > machine :) The palette in the mesh and group view could be used for
>
> i realize simon was smiling as he said this, and that giovanna's
> need is a relatively small one, but this exchange, along with many
> conversations surrounding the importance of fast boot time, are a
> perfect example of something Elana Langer said just yesterday:
> "You cannot tell people how to use their computers or what to
> expect from them.  ...  All we can do is offer a tool (computer)
> and help folks think about integrating it into their communities
> and curriculums but you CANNOT change expectations by simply not
> meeting them."
>
> the fact is that we don't (and may never) consume so little power
> that the laptop can be used heavily on a daily basis, in a place
> where power is scarce, and not need to be shut down.  simply
> repeating "suspend will take care of that eventually" won't solve
> our users needs today.
>
> (again, not picking on simon.  elana's observation just happened
> to strike a chord for me yesterday, and this note gave me an
> excuse to reiterate it.)
>
> paul
> =---------------------
>  paul fox, pgf at laptop.org

I like the comment from marco, that we should be consistent. So maybe
the shutdown option should be added to all the views, Eben what do you
think? In any case as sugar runs on other hardware than the XO, we need
to have the shutdown option (or at least make it optionally available
like the log out one). But as you said I think we are far from consuming
that little power to never need to shut down, so we should leave the
button where it is.

Best,
    Simon