[sugar] Viewing PDFs from Browse

Christopher Sawtell csawtell
Sat Oct 11 18:43:29 EDT 2008

2008/10/12 Walter Bender <walter.bender at gmail.com>:
> Does it even make sense to make annotation tools for PDF as a general
> concept? Why try to distort a proprietary, read-only data format into
> something it isn't.

Whilst the Acroread and Acrobat programs are indeed closed proprietary
products, the portable document format is, and always has been, an
open definition. See:-

http://www.adobe.com/devnet/pdf/pdf_reference.html

> Wouldn't we be better served by converting from
> PDF to an open RW format when we save the files?

W.R.T. the above: Not necessarily so. The Scribus project has expended
an enormous amount of effort coding the 'export as a pdf' function so
that it 'just works', & as far as I can tell it does so perfectly.

--
Sincerely etc.
Christopher Sawtell