[sugar] journal is hard (was Re: notes from the field - Mongolia)

Tomeu Vizoso tomeu
Fri Oct 10 09:02:13 EDT 2008

On Thu, Oct 9, 2008 at 7:18 PM, elana langer <elana.langer at gmail.com> wrote:
> basically when teachers and students try to find their work (write,
> record, etoys)  in the journal it is hard for them to locate it -
> especially if it is more than a few days old.

What I would love to read from you is an analysis of which are the
concrete difficulties that users are having when trying to find stuff
in the journal, and then work with us in improving how the journal
works so that users can more easily find their work.

As you know, the Journal is one of the most immature parts in Sugar,
thus this is a good moment to improve what is worth keeping and drop
what is better to not have there. The feedback you are able to provide
is critical to this improvement process.

> This is why everyone is
> desperate to save their projects on USB keys.

Does this happen in all other deployment sites?

> Also it seems that
> everything doesn't always go there. For example sometimes the pictures
> from a session in record are there - sometimes they aren't - sometimes
> it's just one picture - sometimes none. I have seen this many times -
> again it's why everyone wants to save on a USB right away.

Record creates several entries in the journal: one per video, one per
photo, one per audio recording and one to tie them all together. Maybe
this is confusing users?

Thanks,

Tomeu