[sugar] Slowness (was Re: notes from the field - Mongolia)

Erik Garrison erik
Thu Oct 9 16:08:17 EDT 2008

Hey Elana,

One thing which you can do to improve activity switching performance is
to run xcompmgr (X composite manager).  This prevents the activities
from burning CPU time redrawing themselves every time they are switched
to by persistently caching the video memory used by each window.  The
result is notably improved activity switching performance.  But it does
so at the cost of memory, as each window open consumes about 2MiB more
RAM.

One notable problem with this approach is that doing so requires more
memory and thus, if the user runs a lot (in testing >4 or 5) of
applications the system will become quite slow.  It would be helpful to
know if the activity switching performance boost provided by wholesale
use of X composite is outweighed by the potential out-of-memory
situations.  How many activities are kids typically using?  Would they
prefer a system which had much better window manager navigation
performance at the cost of not being able to run as many activities?

What version of our software (what build) is being used for the tests?
Scott suggests that you are running 649.  I have tested the following
procedure to run xcompmgr on that build:

To install xcompmgr in the Terminal:

    su
    yum install xcompmgr
    # indicate 'y' when asked

To run, again in the terminal:

    xcompmgr

You won't be able to close the terminal while running the tests.

You should notice an improvement in switching performance and frame
redraw.  The residual latency in switching appears to be caused by
activity autosaving, but my testing experience with 649 is not sufficent
to pass judgement on this issue.

Erik