[sugar] re Journal Requirements and preparing kids (was something else)

Greg Smith gregsmitholpc
Thu Oct 9 10:00:43 EDT 2008

Hi Tomeu,

Thanks for asking. The product manager role is only meaningful if
developers and users feel they benefit from it :-)

A note on my perspective. So far I have been able to focus exclusively
on XO + Sugar Software. I don't think much about other OSes on XO (e.g.
Fedora or Windows) or Sugar/XO software on on other HW or OSes. Its all
8.2, 9.1 etc for me, so far.

Two points:
1 - On your question of preparing kids for using computers, that has
come up. It's usually in the context of the need for Windows. That is,
many decision makers seem to think that learning to use Windows is an
important skill to prepare people for jobs which use computers.

We can try to dissuade them by pointing to Linux as the future or
explaining that understanding computers is the central idea and
transferable to any OS (no matter how abstracted the processes and file
system :-). The main idea that the purpose of XOs is to teach kids about
computers is something I think many on this list ascribe to. Others
(e.g. me) look at XOs as more of a tool to learn whatever the kids want
to learn, be it computers or animal husbandry or theology or whatever.
Most people probably want to see some of both.

FYI for earlier comment on this, see Design section of this page:
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Learning_Vision
and my comment on it:
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Talk:Learning_Vision#Very_Inspirational

I'll give one example. I heard of a small country where a trial
deployment was to be funded by a large corporation. The company uses
Windows and .Net. One of their goals was to find and train the bright
kids who would become their future programmers so they were interested
in Windows. They have other more altruistic goals too so everyone can
benefit, but it gives you a sense of how this goal of "learning
computers" is motivated.

2 - On the Journal design. I think we are closing in on a rough
consensus for goals of an updated Journal. The last piece will be the
hardest but let me see if we have agreement on the first two points.

a - Journal/datastore must not lose data due to bugs or errors. If the
user meant to "save", or some part of the OS meant to "save" the data
must be saved! I think/hope everyone is on board with that one.

b - We should allow access to the file system directly. This is the
point most adamantly express by John Gilmore (btw there was a round of
applause by some engineers in the office on reading that one morning
:-). That is, the Journal should show the full path and file name to
every file. Should probably show the size and maybe other file
attributes too. The file names should be human readable and accessible
easily by applications and by terminal commands. It doesn't have to be
the only way to see files in the GUI but it has to be easily available.
That is the main way we address the question: "will kids learn to use
computers by having an XO?" Not sure we have consensus on that but I
think we are close.

c - We should allow access to files via other paradigms, tags, search
tools etc. This is where I think we have the most work to do. I look
forward to Scott's proposal and more discussion. I said previously that
I hadn't heard the need for this from the field. Elana and Erik have
given solid, end user motivated feedback that ~"its hard to find stuff
in the Journal" so I'm completely on board now.

Making that better is where I think we can add the most value. Any DOS
machine in the last 25 years can do the first two. IMHO point c is where
we can break new ground and lead the industry. Especially if we come up
with something that really resonates and works for kids and teachers.

HTHs.

Let's nail down point a and b above as must have, baseline functionality
for 9.1. Then let's kick around as many ideas for point c as we can
until we find a clear winner.

Thanks,

Greg S