[sugar] Give a Laptop, Change the World : G1G1 2008

Eben Eliason eben.eliason
Wed Oct 8 13:45:30 EDT 2008

On Wed, Oct 8, 2008 at 1:05 PM, John Gilmore <gnu at toad.com> wrote:

> And my laundress prefers "fabric revitalization consultant".
>
> Sugar isn't about learning.  Sugar is a user interface.  It draws

I find your first statement wholly contestable.  Moreover, the two
(user interface, learning; or, stated differently, what Sugar /is/ and
what Sugar /is about/) are by no means mutually exclusive.  If any one
of us thought that Sugar was nothing more than a different way to draw
some stuff on a screen, why would we bother? The Sugar interface, as
with all interfaces (or, good ones), provides a means to an end; Our
end is learning.

> icons and decorations on the screen, starts and stops programs, and
> lets you turn control knobs.  The things Sugar competes with aren't
> learning platforms, they're user interfaces, like Gnome or Hildon.

That really depends on who's judging the competition, or perhaps,
who's even holding one.  I don't much care to compete with Gnome.

- Eben