[sugar] Journal Object Picker in Read

Tomeu Vizoso tomeu
Wed Oct 8 08:23:58 EDT 2008

On Wed, Oct 8, 2008 at 2:15 PM, Bert Freudenberg <bert at freudenbergs.de> wrote:

> Am 08.10.2008 um 13:49 schrieb Tomeu Vizoso:
>
>> On Wed, Oct 8, 2008 at 1:30 PM, Bert Freudenberg
>> <bert at freudenbergs.de> wrote:

>>> I don't know - it just seems unwise to artificially limit a powerful
>>> API that is already exposed elsewhere, just because we cannot think
>>> of
>>> a use case right now.
>>>
>>> But I'm not too hung up on that one, a simple list of mime types is
>>> much better than no filtering, so go for it.
>>>
>>> How about allowing glob patterns in addition to concrete types?
>>> Though
>>> that might require extending the DS.
>>
>> The thing is that the D-Bus DS API is not certain to live much longer,
>> so I would prefer if the minimum expectations are set, so we can move
>> later to a better API with less problems for everyone.
>

> Well, the chooser is Journal API not DS API. And how would activities
> communicate with Sugar if not by D-Bus?

I was referring to the DS D-Bus API, the Journal D-Bus API makes use
of it, so if we grow functionality on the journal api, we'll be
growing the dependency on the DS API. Most probably the new DS API
will support all this and more, but I would prefer not to increase the
pressure on the DS because that has worked very bad for us till now.
If we can keep things simple for now, I'd rather do it.

Regards,

Tomeu