[sugar] notes from the field - Mongolia

Samuel Klein meta.sj
Mon Oct 6 21:39:32 EDT 2008

On Mon, Oct 6, 2008 at 12:33 PM, Erik Garrison <erik at laptop.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 06, 2008 at 11:20:04AM -0400, elana langer wrote:
>> This is not a unique experience. This is a culture that lives close to
>> the land. Action- reaction. No one is used to "waiting" for an
>> computer to load or a bagel to toast for that matter. (of course
>> cooking takes time but they can watch as it changes form not just an
>> unmoving screen)
>>
>> In the city the experience is worse. Kids used to PCs quickly grow
>> impatient and leave the XO to find other faster computers.
>
> I think this is very interesting, as I have often heard nearly the
> opposite argument--- that because the XO is often a child's first
> computer their standards for its responsiveness will be as low as we'd
> like them to be.

This is not a compelling argument.
And we'd *like* their standards for responsiveness to be quite high.

> In my mind the fundamental problem is that users aren't required to
> fully qualify names for their work.

That's part of it.  Within the current paradigm, if one had to produce
fully qualified file and project names, and were reminded of this and
encouraged to do it at appropriate times in activity engagement, it
would make [re]discovery much easier.

> Thank you very much for your feedback and hard work!

Ditto.

SJ