[sugar] Sugar USB testing

Morgan Collett morgan.collett
Mon Oct 6 09:22:17 EDT 2008

On Sun, Oct 5, 2008 at 18:37, Walter Bender <walter.bender at gmail.com> wrote:
> CCing the Sugar list.
>
> It seems that one of the problems we will be encountering with generic
> spins is footprint. Even a standard Ubuntu without Sugar was seeming
> too fat to load from a LiveCD on a Pentium 4 with 256K of DRAM.
> Although we didn't try it, I expect Fedora would present similar
> challenges. I don't know how feasible it is to make a lean Fedora for
> these use cases: Maybe the subset of packages we grab for the OLPC
> image only. I defer to the magic that Dennis and Greg can yield.
> Meanwhile, it is probably worth looking at some of the purposefully
> small distros, such as TinyLinux, to see how bloated they get when we
> build Sugar on top of them. It may be a good interim-term solution.
>
> -walter

In the Ubuntu case, it's worth mentioning that Xubuntu
(http://www.xubuntu.org/) is a derivative that replaces GNOME with
XFCE which is a much more lightweight window manager, and the default
apps are also modified to include less resource intensive ones. Often
education setups on older hardware use Xubuntu instead of Ubuntu, and
it's worth using for Sugar LiveCDs too.

Regards
Morgan