[sugar] human factors when launching an activity

Martin Dengler martin
Wed Oct 1 12:18:24 EDT 2008

On Wed, Oct 01, 2008 at 09:52:24AM -0400, Mikus Grinbergs wrote:
> Last night did a lot of activity launching (on 766).  My overall
> impression was that feedback by the system was way too slow.

In my experience the feedback is very fast (less than 1s to come up,
which is hard to ignore unless you're double-clicking).

About two weeks ago I had this same impression as you do now, though,
before I noticed that it was because the datastore was busy indexing a
few kernel build trees on two usb drives I had plugged in.  When I
stopped plugging those drives in[1], the problem went away and the
activity launching feedback was very acceptable.

Are you sure that the machine is otherwise idle when you're
experiencing these undesireable delays?

Martin

1. Or just forcibly unmounting them from the datastore (but not the
actual filesystem, IIRC), by doing something like:

dbus-send --session --print-reply --reply-timeout=2000         \
          --type=method_call --dest=org.laptop.sugar.DataStore \
          /org/laptop/sugar/DataStore org.laptop.sugar.DataStore.unmount \
          string:<datastore mount id>

...for example, ugly little script to tell the datastore to unmount
all the plugged in devices:

#!/bin/bash
datastore_mount_ids=`dbus-send --session --print-reply --reply-timeout=2000 --type=method_call --dest=org.laptop.sugar.DataStore /org/laptop/sugar/DataStore org.laptop.sugar.DataStore.mounts | grep 'string "[0-9a-z]\+-' | cut -d '"' -f 2`
for id in $datastore_mount_ids ; do
    echo -n ds unmount $id...
    dbus-send --session --print-reply --reply-timeout=2000 --type=method_call --dest=org.laptop.sugar.DataStore /org/laptop/sugar/DataStore org.laptop.sugar.DataStore.unmount string:$id
done