[Sugar-devel] Sugar on Classmate 2

Bernie Innocenti bernie
Thu Nov 27 16:11:56 EST 2008

Werner Westermann wrote:
> Regards to all.
>
> I love to see Sugar run on a Classmate 2.  As I understand from Walter, Sugar on USB is
> in beta stage, but definitely in progress.  Any reference or guide will be much
> appreciated.  Thanks for your time,

Aaron Kaplan and Christoph Derndorfer are those with most experience
running Sugar on the Classmate.  Aaron is also in contact with Intel
regarding the port, and might provide additional details.

These days things have got quite straightforward: the first step is
installing a distro that already ships the Sugar packages.  Any Linux
distribution should install easily on the Classmate because the
hardware is quite standard.  I have only seen Ubuntu running on it though.

Then, just install the Sugar packages.  At this time, I believe Fedora
10 has the most up to date core Sugar packages (0.82.9).  It also lets
you choose Sugar as a desktop option alongside Gnome and KDE.

Ubuntu provides a slightly outdated version of Sugar (0.82.0), but
seems to come with more pre-packaged activities.  Debian unstable also
carries Sugar packages, and a few OLPC developers are actively
involved with it.

There *will* be bugs. Last time I checked, the activity donut was
positioned incorrectly with respect to the kid icon, and some
activities were also unable to adapt to the different screen aspect
ratio... Network Manager might also be broken.

The core Sugar developers do not have a Classmate to test with, but
99% of the bugs you might encounter will be unrelated to the hardware.
 Feel free to dispatch them in the distro bug tracker or at
http://dev.sugarlabs.org/ .  Or even better, send patches ;-)

--
   // Bernie Innocenti - http://www.codewiz.org/
 \X/  Sugar Labs       - http://www.sugarlabs.org/