[sugar] [IAEP] Core Sugar framework now in Debian Testing!

Jonas Smedegaard dr
Sat May 24 14:03:37 EDT 2008

Hi Sugar developers!

Whoops - my initial email was intended for the Debian-specific
mailinglist, but accidentally ended at its.an.edu.  Sorry about the
noise.

I notice that Morgan cross-posted his response to the sugar list as well
- - this email is cross-posted too, please tell me if one or more lists
should be left out from further discussion.

On Fri, May 23, 2008 at 02:01:27PM +0200, Morgan Collett wrote:
>On Fri, May 23, 2008 at 12:32 PM, Jonas Smedegaard <dr at jones.dk> wrote:

>> All core Sugar packages are now in Debian Testing!
>>
>> With "core" I mean all Sugar software except activities themselves.
>>
>> (upstream have no clear definition of "core" - it seems they agree
>> that Sugar should always include some activities, but does not agree
>> on some common default "core" set of activities...)
>
>You must have missed the recent activity on the sugar list... Sugar as
>an upstream project now has designated "demo" activities which distros
>can choose to bundle.

I knew about the sugarlabs.org wiki, but was unaware that such bundling
was already decided officially now.

>http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Taxonomy gives names to different
>components in the stack which as been known in whole or part as
>"Sugar". Fructose now refers to the activities bundled with Sugar.

That page looks like just a proposal to me.  If official, I recommend
rephrasing the initial section of that page (and/or point me to some
other more official page).

>> We need more activities packaged! Please speak up if you are
>> interested in helping out.
>
>I haven't done packaging before - it's always been on my TODO list to
>learn.

Great!  Please subscribe to the Debian-specific mailinglist at
http://lists.alioth.debian.org/mailman/listinfo/debian-olpc-devel and
let's discuss the details there :-)

>Please remind me where your documentation is, and what list to join.

Specifics about Sugar packaging is (mostly missing currently, but
intended to end up) at http://wiki.debian.org/Sugar

Something like this: http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Sugar_on_Debian ?

>I helped test Jani's Ubuntu packages before the hardy release.
>Unfortunately I only realised days before the release that the sugar
>versions included were not the most appropriate versions: taken from a
>different branch to the stable release. While it looks the same as the
>stable release (0.75.x in build 703) there are differences, which may
>mean bugs in the Ubuntu version (0.79.0) which were fixed in the 0.75.x
>series after that release. So I really want to see distro releases
>(especially Ubuntu) having the most appropriate versions of the Sugar
>stack.

...and the (quite recent!) links you provided is valuable for us
distributors to understand what you mean by "appropriate". :-)

Thanks.

  - Jonas

- --

    - Enden er n?r: http://www.shibumi.org/eoti.htm