[sugar] Announce: Spanish Wikipedia snapshot activity.

Tomeu Vizoso tomeu
Mon May 26 10:57:14 EDT 2008

On Mon, May 26, 2008 at 4:39 PM, Chris Ball <cjb at laptop.org> wrote:
> Hi Tomeu,
>
>   >>   http://dev.laptop.org/~cjb/eswiki/Wikipedia-6.xo  (98MB)
>
>   > In the past we have had some problems downloading and installing very
>   > big bundles like that. Have you seen any unexpected behavior in the
>   > shell or the journal?
>
> Yes, I have.  The unzipping takes a minute or two, and during that time
> the shell will freeze up.  It seems to all be okay once the install has
> passed, though.
>
> I don't understand why the freezing is so severe.  If I install the
> bundle via "unzip" on tty1, the laptop stays multitasking and happy
> while the unzipping happens.  In Sugar, I can't even switch to tty1
> while it's being installed.

Ok, this is a bug that was partially improved for u1 but some of the
improvements were parked until u2 because were too invasive at the
time. Current joyride should be better and one more fix is about to
land in there.

What cannot be fixed in sugar is the time that takes to be written and
read from flash. Not compressing the zip would help on that. Any
chance we can get into the august release the ability to mark files in
jffs2 as "don't compress please"?

Thanks,

Tomeu