[sugar] Release process

Morgan Collett morgan.collett
Sat May 24 09:53:29 EDT 2008

On Sat, May 24, 2008 at 10:34 AM, Tomeu Vizoso <tomeu at tomeuvizoso.net> wrote:
> On Fri, May 23, 2008 at 9:17 PM, Kim Quirk <kim at laptop.org> wrote:
>>
>> One of the jobs of the release manager should be to help identify
>> things that are ready to move from a development branch into the
>> testing branch by making sure the process steps along the way are
>> completed, etc.
>
> Whose job would be to make sure that people are working on things that
> have the highest probability of getting into the next release? The
> project manager? If so, I guess we can expect some tensions between
> the release and the project manager. If it's the same person (or set
> of persons), we could face another update.1.

Good point. I see the project/product manager as the person fighting
to get a certain feature set into the release, and the release manager
being the one who tries to keep unnecessary changes out of the release
(for stability reasons, or to meet the deadline).

Finding the balance of authority between these two people is IMHO a
critical strategic issue. Without an explicit decision, there will be
tension.

Morgan