[sugar] Release process

Kim Quirk kim
Fri May 23 15:17:13 EDT 2008

Scott,
I agree with the need for at least the four branches that you have
described below. I would think the Support team would be most familiar
with the Stable branch; the QA/Test team would do most of their work
(especially system level testing) from the Testing branch; and the
Development people would be most active on the Unstable and
Experimental branches.

One of the jobs of the release manager should be to help identify
things that are ready to move from a development branch into the
testing branch by making sure the process steps along the way are
completed, etc.

A good set of 'readiness criteria' that people agree on ahead of time
really helps when we get to each of the major decision points or
freeze points in the schedule. Then there doesn't have to be too much
arguing about whether a bug fix or feature makes the cut.

We should recognize that for our projects there may be some bug fixes
that we decide _must_ make the next release. That is usually what
causes us to delay the release (as we did with Update.1 when we
decided the fixes for Peru were more important than getting the
release out on time). We should discuss this ahead of time so it isn't
a surprise or a big disappointment to the community. We should agree
on what (if anything) could delay the release; and how the status of
those blocking items are monitored and communicated to everyone on a
regular basis.

Kim