[sugar] OLPC's bizarre behaviors

C. Scott Ananian cscott
Thu May 22 15:06:05 EDT 2008

On 5/22/08, Todd Cranston-Cuebas <geekhunter at gmail.com> wrote:
> I think it's worth noting that with the announcement of the new 2.0 spec on
> the hardware, you're going to get even more backlash of current G1G1
> participants feeling like they helped to fund and purchase a system that is
> basically really a serious work in progress and test bed for the new system.
> Again, impression counts.

I'm not sure exactly what you mean.  About a million kids will be
using the XO-1, in *just this calendar year*.  The XO-2 will not be
ready until 2010 at the earliest.  How do you feel that the XO-1 is
merely a test bed?

This is a serious question: if this impression is widespread, we need
to do a better job communicating, and your help in discovering what we
still haven't said is important.  (See
http://lists.laptop.org/pipermail/devel/2008-May/013694.html for my
previous best effort.)
 --scott

p.s. was my Commodore VIC-20 "merely a test bed" for the Commodore 64
which came after it, or the Amiga which came after that?  The VIC-20
was the best machine and best software available at the time, as was
the C64 when it arrived later.

pps. a little bird told me we've managed to ink deals with several
more countries on the strength of our country meetings this week,
which were 99% XO-1 related, even though we also used the opportunity
to announce the XO-2.  Don't imagine that we're not working on the
XO-1.  Rather, it's the XO-2 which is currently just an inkling of an
idea.

--
                         ( http://cscott.net/ )