[sugar] hot corners

Greg Smith gregmsmi gregmsmi
Mon May 19 09:31:12 EDT 2008

Hi Guys,

Sounds like Walter is on it. My 2 cents, ask this question and figure
how to more questions like this in the future. Also, if representatives
from deployments are in Cambridge this week, make sure to raise the
question there.

After our last exchange a month ago, I thought about ways to gather user
input on future GUI design. The developer key and need to load a special
build was the first show stopper. The second was that you can't stop
class to test new code. E.g. Tim from Waveplace said he can't interfere
with deployments and learning to "beta" test.

I sent a link to the new sugar GUI to a lead in Peru but I don't think
he really "grokked" the new design. May be because its static or because
its in English. Bottom line is that I don't think those pages alone will
get you the quality input needed.

I'll try again with a link to new design and questions on current frame
on the olpc-sur at lists.laptop.org list.

Long term you need a standing lab. I believe I saw David Cavallo meeting
with Mel King some time ago. Mel started a technology center for kids n
Boston: http://www.tech-center-enlightentcity.tv/

With 10 - 20 Xos and their buy in, that could be your usability lab. I
think David Cavallo will have contacts to get that started.

Sorry, I wont have time to do a lot of work on that in the near future
:-( I can send a couple of e-mails a week but otherwise have to pass he
buck.

Thanks,

Greg S

BTW I'm not on the sugar list (e-mail is maxed out). Please forward
there as needed. I'll also comment one more time on Frame thread on
devel list.