[sugar] Collaboration in an activity

Wade Brainerd wadetb
Sat May 17 17:32:12 EDT 2008

That's great that you're putting collaboration into Assimilate!

When a user joins an activity, they will have a brand new activity
instance.  So there should be no merging of activity state needed.
Typically, you should just have joining users send a 'hello' message
when they establish a connection.  The host (the user who initiated
the activity) responds with the entire database.  Here is the code
from Colors!:

1. Function called when a connection finally exists.  If I am not the
initiating client (i.e. if joining), broadcast a Hello message that
the initiator will hear:

http://dev.laptop.org/git?p=activities/colors;a=blob;f=colors.py;h=c262f55e46519248418a07e3c4eed1ab4207fa09;hb=a4e299e698ea90ef8dae62e3210cc02f7c51aafc#l664

2. The handler for the Hello message.  If I am the initiating client,
respond with the entire state.

http://dev.laptop.org/git?p=activities/colors;a=blob;f=colors.py;h=c262f55e46519248418a07e3c4eed1ab4207fa09;hb=a4e299e698ea90ef8dae62e3210cc02f7c51aafc#l698

Hope this helps and feel free to ping me on IRC if you want to discuss it.

Best,
Wade