[sugar] [Activity Proposal] Develop

Jameson "Chema" Quinn jquinn
Fri May 16 13:40:28 EDT 2008

I would like to propose Develop for inclusion in Sugar releases. This
application is a bit premature, but somebody mentioned that the
decisions for next release are coming up next week, so I'm pushing it
out there.

*  Short description of the features.
Ability to edit and package activities, esp. python-based ones.

* Screenshots or screencasts.
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Image:Develop-screenshot.png

* Are you willing to follow the Schedule?
If I can feed my family while I do so, yes. (I am currently applying
for a position as a contractor for OLPC to work on this. Depends on
the resolution of that.)

* System components the activity depends on.
Critical dependence on bundlebuilder.py and activitybundle.py; I am
currently updating those to a new bundle format, which will make them
dependent on a Sugar crypto service, which will depend on python's
crypto and ezpythoncrypto modules.

* Members of the developer team.
Jameson Quinn (me)
Others have contributed but nobody else seems to be on this right now.

* Status of internationalization.
Barely started. I can do Spanish myself. (Internationalization of the
code is my dream feature, but here I refer to internationalization of
the activity. There are few strings.

* Code repository.
git://dev.laptop.org/activities/develop

* Bug tracking system.
trac : dev.laptop.org

* Planned feature for this release cycle
as mentioned above, bulletproof bundles and some support for
versioning (dev and stable versions). The activity can break, but it
should at least bundle itself up correctly. Beyond that, depends on
voting at http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Develop/roadmap .