[sugar] One2OneMate

Yoshiki Ohshima yoshiki
Wed May 14 17:54:11 EDT 2008

At Wed, 14 May 2008 09:23:16 -0400,
Walter Bender wrote:

> I got my hands on a One2OneMate last night. It is a pretty cool
> machine. The keyboard is full, their is a touch screen, built in
> wireless, some expansion slots, etc. It is light, runs quiet and cool.
> It comes with a nice suite of applications: Konqueror, a PDF viewer, a
> note pad, typing tutor, Tux paint, a calculator, etc. It uses a simple
> tab- and icon-based desktop. It is responsive. I am trying to install
> some apps off of their server--haven't figured out how to get to the
> console yet. Definite Sugar potential!!

  Touch screen is nice.  Given that Sugar takes the multi-platform
strategy, we probably consider removing the "mouse over" gesture.

  Etoys suffers the problem; it has a "mouse over halo" feature where
the user is supposed to stop the mouse cursor on an object 1 second
without pushing any buttons.  But from my observation, kids are really
impatient in that regard.  However I say, "don't push the button!",
most of kids cannot wait and just push the button in the hope to make
it do something.  So, even without touch panel, it might be a better
idea to avoid mouse over for kids environment.

-- Yoshiki