[sugar] perceived sugar performance

Albert Cahalan acahalan
Thu May 1 22:14:26 EDT 2008

On Thu, May 1, 2008 at 1:01 PM, Gary C Martin <gary at garycmartin.com> wrote:
> On 1 May 2008, at 16:24, Albert Cahalan wrote:

> > For other reasons (GUI complexity and the OOM killer), the ability
> > to launch multiple activities should be disabled by default.
>
>  Do you mean 2+ instances of one activity, or multiple activities?
>  Preventing multiple activities on the XO would be too extreme, I think,
> though it would be the next logical step down for UI simplification. For the
> younger end of the target audience I can see this being a positive (an
> assumption, I have no proof), but it would reduce the utility of the XO over
> a range of learning usage scenarios for everyone else.

I said "by default", and I meant it. The younger end of the
target audience shouldn't be forced to struggle with the
confusion and failures (OOM) of multiple activities.

The older crowd can change the default. Probably they will
also want a real file manager and a normal desktop; those
could all go together so that sugar doesn't have to have the
features that the younger crowd won't need.

Ideally an activity would be 100% full screen (no frame even)
until it is exited. If need be, one can exit with the power button.