[sugar] Joyride is reopened for development.

Mikus Grinbergs mikus
Wed Mar 26 12:09:48 EDT 2008

Chris wrote
 > * Continue to have (all) activities present in Joyride builds.
I was asked to describe how I see Activity precedence affecting me.

I dual-boot my G1G1 - one build is "the public will see this" (e.g.,
Update.1) and the other build is "development" (e.g., Joyride).  I
customize these builds (which takes time), so I don't install
*every* Joyride build that comes along.

Used to be that every kind of build carried its Activities in
/usr/share -- when I booted a different build, I got access to *its*
activities.  Now Update.1 builds expect all their Activities (except
for Journal) in /home/olpc (which is NOT replaced when I boot a
different build).  Supposing that I want to segregate "public"
Activities from "development" Activities, what are now my options ?

--------

If /usr/share/activities has precedence over /home/olpc/Activities,
I can keep any uniquely "development" Activities in /usr/share in
Joyride.  When I boot Joyride, they take precedence over the
Update.1 Activities in /home/olpc.  When I boot Update.1, *its*
/usr/share is empty (except for Journal), so the "public" Activities
in /olpc/home are the ones which are accessed.  Everything works.

[I started this particular discussion with a request for information
about the "correct" way to individually add Activities to /usr/share
-- in particular, do I need to do something to keep rainbow happy? ]

--------

On my system /home/olpc/Activities will keep "officially released"
Activities.  If /home/<user_directory>/Activities has precedence
over /usr/share/activities, then where to put any uniquely
"development" Activities (that I want to run under Joyride)?

Quickest way appears to be to define a __new__ user (different from
'olpc').  When I log on with that new_user_id, the system will be
looking in /home/new_user_id/Activities - that's where I can put all
"Joyride" Activities, while leaving /home/olpc/Activities untouched.

--------

As you can see, if Joyride continues to have all activities present
in /usr/share/activities (and if that takes precedence over
/home/olpc/Activities), it makes installing my dual-boot setup easy.

If Joyride builds continue to supply activities, but as a separate
package, there is the matter of where to install the Joyride
provided Activities vs. the "officially available" Activities.

mikus