[sugar] Mini-Conference Proposal: Toolbars & Tabs (or lack thereof)

Mikus Grinbergs mikus
Tue Mar 25 19:06:32 EDT 2008

Eben wrote
> Toolbar buttons use icons instead of text as an identifier.

When I looked at http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Designs/Toolbars,
there were no mock-ups there yet.  So I'm not sure if you are
referring to the (e.g., menu-bar) button which goes from the
activity to a toolbar, or to a button which itself sits on a toolbar.

Speaking for myself, "language" is more natural to me than "visual
imagination".  [I'm reminded of the story about older-generation
people, who saw '?' signs in railway terminals, but had no idea what
they meant.]  An icon without text will be meaningful __once the
user learns what that icon signifies__.  A button supplying text
will be meaningful to anyone who knows the language.

You should not do away with text for those buttons which themselves
sit on a toolbar.  [Text names are NOT superfluous - if icons are to
be primary in the UI, please supply "helper" text on roll-over.]

mikus

p.s.
> Rather than residing in a secondary region solely for tabs, toolbar
> buttons are first class citizens in toolbars; when clicked, they
> reveal a second tier toolbar beneath the first, visually attached to
> the toolbar button.

I already commented in the wiki under Designs/Activity_Management
that a similar 'tiering' scheme would be useful for organizing
Activity icons (interchange your term "toolbar button" with my term
"tab").  There are getting to be so many "draw pictures" Activities
that in my opinion they ought to be organized into a secondary tier.