[sugar] Mini-Conference Proposal: Toolbars & Tabs (or lack thereof)

Martin Dengler martin
Tue Mar 25 17:04:01 EDT 2008

On Tue, Mar 25, 2008 at 04:41:58PM +0000, Gary C Martin wrote:
> > The core component of the new approach is the introduction of the
> > "toolbar button", which you can see mockups of at
> > http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Designs/Toolbars.  There is no text with
> > the mockups yet, but I'll add it later.  In the meantime, please
> > consider the following advantages:
>
> Yes, I do like the idea a lot.
>
> The main issue I see not covered in your list (and it's quite a
> whopper), is that the extra tool-bar strip shifts the top of the main
> activity canvas down, resizing it in the process.

I'm far from a UI designer, so I can't believe I'm about to say this,
but if shifting is the issue, and the un-shifted (original toolbar
upon/within which the new toolbar button is situated) cannot be used
at the same time as the extra toolbar strip, then one solution would
be to obscure the (temporarily unusable) original toolbar strip with
the extra toolbar strip.  A bit like Apple's Sheets (Document Modal
Dialogs)[1], but only modal w.r.t. to the original toolbar.

But I'm so far out of my depth I'm getting a nosebleed...

> Regards,
> Gary

Martin

1. http://developer.apple.com/documentation/UserExperience/Conceptual/OSXHIGuidelines/XHIGWindows/chapter_18_section_7.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/20000961-CJECBHJE