[sugar] icon assistance/validation

Gary C Martin gary
Tue Mar 18 18:09:42 EDT 2008

On 18 Mar 2008, at 20:13, Eben Eliason wrote:

> I can remove the stroke-opacity altogether.  As mentioned before, I
> don't have any particular goal in mind with respect to that
> property...I just implemented it at the same time as fill-opacity
> because it was easy to add.  I do want to keep the fill-opacity so we
> can take advantage of it in the future, though.  It is something that
> may not be implemented immediately, but would make the code much
> cleaner once we are able to support it.

What would happen to overlapping fill areas if opacity starts getting
fiddled with? My understanding is that the overlap areas will be
additive and there for more opaque than non-overlapping areas leading
to fuggly shapes appearing. Icon designers would need to always build
all non trivial fill shapes out of little bits of non-overlapping
primitives. That's quite a tall order.

If there really is some great feature that needs alpha, can the SVG
not just be rendered in to a pixbuff, and then the pixbuff be
composited into a widget with alpha. This way the SVG is 'flattened'
so that you can dial up/down the transparency across the whole image
without fuggly bits appearing.

I'm currently using transparency like this in moon activity ? I just
happen to be starting with a jpg image (that I need transparency
effects on), rather than an SVG resource. I then do some compositing
to form the dark and light sides of the Lunar phase, out of one full
bright jpg image. Now it's not too quick on XO hardware (about 1sec
all said and done), but then again it is a 726x726px image going
through several alpha/masking composite stages, you should be able to
composite 55x55px oooh ~170 times faster. It's currently all pure GTK+
at the moment, but planning a move to Cairo for more transparency
control (would like soft shadows at least) and perhaps better
performance.

Do you want me to make a pulsing SVG like this as a little test
activity? See what the load is like or if there are technical bumps
preventing it?