[sugar] icon assistance/validation

Paul Fox pgf
Tue Mar 18 11:07:23 EDT 2008

eben wrote:
 > On Tue, Mar 18, 2008 at 10:38 AM, Paul Fox <pgf at foxharp.boston.ma.us> wrote:
 > >     - as "cluttery" as it feels, i think the script should create
 > >         a backup ("icon.svg~") of the original, by default, if
 > >         it's going to overwrite the original.  there could be an
 > >         option to suppress this.
 >
 > Interesting point, and not a bad idea.  Perhaps instead I could simply
 > ask [y/n] at runtime if it is about to overwrite the old file (still
 > with an option to suppress this prompt).

that would be fine.

 > >     - a "guess" behavior would be useful:  rather than demanding the
 > >         hex values for fill and stroke, the script could figure these
 > >         out for itself, and either just go ahead, or confirm with the
 > >         user first.  this would also give an opportunity to warn
 > >         if there are more than two values used for fill or stroke.  (is
 > >         this ever appropriate?)
 >
 > I hadn't thought about creating a guess algorithm.  It doesn't,
 > however, require passing the stroke and fill values -- it has a
 > default of (#666666, #FFFFFF) for (stroke, fill), which are the colors
 > provided in the template icons, and probably the preferred look of the
 > icons when listed on the wiki.

oh yeah -- i forgot to mention the defaults.  i don't think
they're all that useful (hence my notion of guessing them),
because there there are a lot of competing suggested values, none
of which include "#666666", that i can find :-).

bert said earlier that he uses:
    <!ENTITY fill_color "#CCCCCC">
    <!ENTITY stroke_color "#000000">

a skim of the wiki search results for "fill_color" and "stroke_color"
gives mostly fills of #ffffff and strokes of #000000, and on the
XO itself, i see the following:

    ==xo-14-83-DB,pgf(1)>> cd /usr/share/activities
    ==xo-14-83-DB,pgf(1)>> cat */activity/*svg | egrep  'ENTITY stroke'
      <!ENTITY stroke_color "#5555FF">
	    <!ENTITY stroke_color "#010101">
      <!ENTITY stroke_color "#000000">
	    <!ENTITY stroke_color "#010101">
	    <!ENTITY stroke_color "#010101">
	    <!ENTITY stroke_color "#00FF00">
	    <!ENTITY stroke_color "#010101">
	    <!ENTITY stroke_color "#010101">
	    <!ENTITY stroke_color "#010101">
	    <!ENTITY stroke_color "#d7e4f6">
	    <!ENTITY stroke_color "#010101">
	    <!ENTITY stroke_color "#010101">
	    <!ENTITY stroke_color "#010101">
	    <!ENTITY stroke_color "#010101">
	    <!ENTITY stroke_color "#010101">
	    <!ENTITY stroke_color "#010101">
	    <!ENTITY stroke_color "#010101">
	    <!ENTITY stroke_color "#010101">
	    <!ENTITY stroke_color "#010101">
	    <!ENTITY stroke_color "#000000">
	    <!ENTITY stroke_color "#010101">
	    <!ENTITY stroke_color "#010101">
    ==xo-14-83-DB,pgf(1)>>
    ==xo-14-83-DB,pgf(1)>> cat */activity/*svg | egrep  'ENTITY fill'
      <!ENTITY fill_color "#9999FF">
	    <!ENTITY fill_color "#FFFFFF">
      <!ENTITY fill_color "#FFFFFF">
	    <!ENTITY fill_color "#FFFFFF">
	    <!ENTITY fill_color "#FFFFFF">
	    <!ENTITY fill_color "#0000FF">
	    <!ENTITY fill_color "#FFFFFF">
	    <!ENTITY fill_color "#FFFFFF">
	    <!ENTITY fill_color "#FFFFFF">
	    <!ENTITY fill_color "#133c6d">
	    <!ENTITY fill_color "#FFFFFF">
	    <!ENTITY fill_color "#FFFFFF">
	    <!ENTITY fill_color "#FFFFFF">
	    <!ENTITY fill_color "#FFFFFF">
	    <!ENTITY fill_color "#FFFFFF">
	    <!ENTITY fill_color "#FFFFFF">
	    <!ENTITY fill_color "#FFFFFF">
	    <!ENTITY fill_color "#FFFFFF">
	    <!ENTITY fill_color "#FFFFFF">
	    <!ENTITY fill_color "#FFFFFF">
	    <!ENTITY fill_color "#FFFFFF">
	    <!ENTITY fill_color "#FFFFFF">

 > >     - does the script do anything at all with no options?  i did this
 > >         first, forgetting i probably needed -f and -s, and i then wasn't
 > >         sure if anything had happened.  if it nees options, then it should
 > >         give usage() with none.
 >
 > It does indeed silently function, replacing the current icon, when no
 > flags are passed.  Of course, it does this by using ht e above
 > mentioned defaults.  Thinking about it, I may need better feedback in
 > that case.  I have a habit of always using the -v verbose flag, which
 > makes it really easy to confirm that the entities were replaced
 > properly.  Perhaps the best feedback would be to count the number of
 > entities replaced, and display a warning when none were replaced
 > successfully.

that would be good.

paul