[sugar] icon assistance/validation

Bert Freudenberg bert
Sat Mar 15 15:31:54 EDT 2008

On Mar 15, 2008, at 20:11 , Paul Fox wrote:

> kent wrote:
>> On Saturday 15 March 2008 10:04:46 am you wrote:
>>>
>>>    - bert's suggestion of doing one's drawing in two colors (i.e.,
>>> red
>>>      and yellow) instead of gray and black, makes it easier somehow.
>>
>> It seems to me that Sugar uses color to signify the user,
>> particularly when used through the mesh.  I don't think it is
>> an accident that all of the icons that are shipped with my XO
>> are black and white.  Have you had a different experience?
>
> no.  but as far as i can tell, the colors specified in the SVG
> file are ignored by sugar, whether the icon is on the frame or on
> the ring, so which colors one chooses to draw with, or even
> "ship" with, seem to be immaterial.  i think bert's (and then my)
> point
> was just that it can be easier to think about the design while
> drawing it if using colors, rather than black/grey.

Paul is right - I just find it easier to author the icon in bright
colors. Afterwards you replace the actual colors with the symbolic
fill and stroke color entities for Sugar, so the authoring colors
don't matter at all. And also you give default values for fill and
stroke in the file header, with the convention to use black for
strokes and light gray or white for the fill. These entity defaults
are overridden with the actual colors when rendering in Sugar, so they
do not actually matter either. However, sticking to black and grey
looks nicely uniform on the Wiki's activity page.

- Bert -