[sugar] New multilingual dictionary activity

Jameson "Chema" Quinn jquinn
Mon Mar 10 14:26:37 EDT 2008

For the XO, it would be great if dictionaries were *not* constant databases.
Many of the countries where the XO is/will be deployed have local languages
for which good free electronic dictionaries very much do not exist.
Moreover, even in places where the local language is digital-age, creating a
schoolwide jargon file would be a great project for involving the kids.

I know that, if the University of Southern Denmark and the dead author's
daughter ever finish giving me CC-like rights to a multilanguage Mayan
dictionary, a good wiktionary-like activity would become *the* major
argument for adopting the XO in Guatemala. (the dictionary is large, but
antiquated - it would need to be user-extensible to be useful).

I am very happy that a dictionary activity exists, and I know that the
programming work for a user-modifiable one is several times as much as just
a static one. So I am not belittling Chris's accomplishment, just saying
that tying it to a static database is not the direction I would advise.

Jameson