[sugar] New multilingual dictionary activity

Chris Ball cjb
Sun Mar 9 16:33:42 EDT 2008

Hi,

I've written a basic multilingual dictionary activity, as suggested by
Ivan's Peru writeup.  It currently translates between English and
French, German, Italian, Portuguese and Spanish, using dictionaries
from the Internet Dictionary Project.

Here's the activity, which contains all of the dictionaries (216K):

   http://dev.laptop.org/~cjb/Words-1.xo

and the GIT tree:

   git://dev.laptop.org/users/cjb/words-activity

Next steps:

   * I have a "Speak" button that I'd like to hook up to espeak with the
     appropriate accent loaded.  Josh, any interest in helping to get
     that working?  Should I just wait for the speech server?
   * Anyone have a better name than "Words" for this?
   * Note that these are adult dictionaries, not children's.  We can
     swap the dictionaries out quite easily when we find preferable
     ones, though.
   * Need to add localization of the activity itself.
   * Could use a trie instead of just using Python dicts; it's a little
     slow on the XO.

Any other suggestions?

- Chris.
--