[sugar] Datastore: uid, entry_id, object_id, activity_id ?

Michael Stone michael
Sat Mar 8 17:40:45 EST 2008

> What is the uid, and, given a DSObject, how am I supposed to determine it?

The DS is currently implemented on top of an information retrieval (IR)
system called Xapian [1]. Xapian basically divides the world up into
Databases [2], Documents, terms, postings, and a few other details.
Since Databases are stateful and since Documents can be unwieldy, the
Database interface manipulates and refers to Documents via opaque
handles called 'docid's. For reasons that are opaque to me, the DS names
these docids 'uids'.

[1]: http://xapian.org/
[2]: http://xapian.org/docs/sourcedoc/html/classXapian_1_1Database_1_1Internal.html

Unfortunately, knowing what they are doesn't give me enough knowledge to
say how they might leak up through the DS interface and the Sugar
DSObject wrapper around it into your hands. Yet, anyway. :)

Michael