[sugar] [Localization] keyboard bindings for buttons and palettes

Sayamindu Dasgupta sayamindu
Mon Mar 3 12:43:30 EST 2008

On Mon, Mar 3, 2008 at 11:01 PM, Eben Eliason <eben.eliason at gmail.com> wrote:

> > The Indic translation teams (mostly the Indian teams) have
> > traditionally kept accelerators unchanged, even if they had the option
> > of translating them. I do not know the exact reasons the other teams
> > had, but as far as the Bengali team was concerned, the three main
> > reasons were
> >
> > 1. Difficulty in maintaining consistency of keyboard shortcuts
> > (different translators used different acclerator for the same menu
> > item in different applications, leading to confusion and chaos)
> > 2. Lack of native language keyboards (we have very few physical
> > "Bengali" keyboards with actual Bengali alphabets on them)
> > 3. People are too much used to hitting Ctrl-S to save files - it's a
> > habit we decided not to mess with.
> >
> > I guess 2 and 3 does not apply to the OLPC much.
> >

> Indeed 2 is not a problem.  As for 3, We have always tried not to mess with
> convention much unless doing so provided a considerably better experience.
> With respect to our audience, its true that they won't know the conventions
> used everywhere else, but we should weigh  making things slightly more
> natural, perhaps, to learn against their having to relearn everything should
> they later use a conventional machine/OS.  Learned muscle memory might be
> better to have than proper mnemonic shortcuts (I understand I write this
> having been spoiled by conventional shortcuts that are, in general,
> mnemonic; on the other hand, half of the shortcuts I know in most of the
> apps I use are completely  -- at least apparently -- without any meaning...)

I agree with you that we need to consider future needs of the student
as well. Just out of curiosity, I decided to take a look at the manual
of Sharif Linux (a Farsi GNU/Linux distribution) and judging from the
screenshots, they seem to use non Latin-alphabet accelerators. So it
may be a good idea to have the accelerators translateable and leave it
to the language teams to decide what they want.

Thanks,
Sayamindu

--
Sayamindu Dasgupta